Certificate III in Maritime Operations
(Master up 24 metres Near Coastal) MAR30918
This course was previously MAR30913
UPCOMING COURSES in 2020/2021
PERTH - HILLARYS BOAT HARBOUR
- May 11 - June 5
- Aug 3 - Aug 28
- Nov 16 - Dec 11
- Feb 1 - Feb 26
WHO IS IT FOR?
The holder of this certificate can:
- Command a commercial vessel <24m long in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)
- Act as Chief Mate or deck watchkeeper on a vessel <35m long in the EEZ
- Act as Chief Mate or deck watchkeeper on a vessel <80m long in inshore waters
The course is conducted face-to-face over an intense 20 day period with an experienced Master who will help and guide you through the required Units of Competency to ensure you have the knowledge and skills that may lead to attaining a Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 metres Near Coastal) issued by Sea School Marine Training RTO 91732.
This qualification is one component of the eligibility criteria to achieve the Master < 24m Certificate of Competency which allows you to work in any state or territory in Australia.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The Master <24m qualification is made up of 14 units of competency. Ten of the units are delivered in this course and the remaining 4 units are a *course requirement and are the Elements of Shipboard Safety Skill Set (ESS) see below:
- BSBFLM303C Contribute to effective workplace relationships
- MARB029 Perform routine maintenance on a vessel up to 24 metres
- MARB030 Slip or dock a vessel and maintain hull on a vessel up to 80 metres
- MARH015 Manage and maintain a navigational watch on board vessels up to 80 metres
- MARH016 Plan and navigate a passage for a vessel up to 80 metres
- MARH017 Use wheelhouse equipment for safe navigation
- MARI004 Observe regulations to ensure safe operation of a vessel up to 80 metres
- MARJ004 Monitor environmental management on a vessel
- MARK008 Maneuver a vessel up to 24 metres within near coastal waters
- MARN009 Perform seamanship operations on board a vessel up to 24 metres
- *MARF027 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- *MARF028 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- *MARF029 Meet work health and safety requirements
- *MARF030 Survive at sea using survival craft
- *HLTAID003 Provide first aid
Note: * You may undertake the Elements of Shipboard Safety units and First aid before or after enrolling in this course however, you must be deemed competent in all 14 units prior to receiving the qualification. If you hold a GPH or Coxswain Grade 1 certificate, you will have already completed the ESS units.
The Australian fishing, cargo and passenger vessel fleet is as vibrant and varied as any around the world and has a role for you that will take you places; from work vessels, barges, small tugs, fishing vessels and city ferries, to high speed catamarans and super yachts.
Master <24m commands coastal trading vessels under 24 metres in length in designated near offshore waters. They co-ordinate the activities of crew members and oversee the safe operation of the vessel at sea, at anchor and in port. With experience you could become a sought-after Master, transporting along the Australian coastline, carrying cargo or commanding a commercial fishing vessel.
FOR MORE INFORMATION or to ENROL click on the SEA SCHOOL link or call 1300 666 416
(you will be re-directed to Sea School Marine Training's website):
Skippers Ticket Training WA also offers courses for: