Certificate I in Maritime Operations
(Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) MAR10418
This course was previously MAR10413
UPCOMING COURSES in 2021
PERTH - HILLARYS BOAT HARBOUR
- Jul 19 - Jul 27 [course full waitlist available]
WHO IS IT FOR?
This domestic qualification licensed by AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) is suitable for people who work or want to work as a Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal in the maritime industry and command a commercial marine vessel:
- up to 12 metres in length
- with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 100 kW for an inboard engine
- that is not carrying passengers
and operate this vessel:
- in sheltered waters, or
- as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ), or
- within 3 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
The course is conducted face-to-face over an intense 7 day period with an experienced Master who will help and guide you through the required Units of Competency to ensure you have the knowledge and skills that may lead to attaining a Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) issued by Sea School Marine Training RTO 91732.
This qualification is one component of the eligibility criteria to achieve the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate of Competency which allows you to work in any state or territory in Australia.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The Coxswain Grade 2 certificate is made up of 8 units of competency:
- MARC037 Operate inboard and outboard motors
- MARF027 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF028 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF029 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARI003 Comply with regulations to ensure safe operation of a vessel up to 12 metres
- MARJ006 Follow environmental work practices
- MARK007 Handle a vessel up to 12 metres
- MARN008 Apply seamanship skills aboard a vessel up to 12 metres
The marine industry needs competent skippers and crew to transport guests and cargo and to provide services, labour and contracts on the waterfront and on the coast.
A Coxswain can take control of a ferry, water taxi, jet boat, yacht, catamaran, tourism or catering vessel, Kimberley charter boat tender and a variety of work boats.
Coxswain Grade 1 – Can carry passengers
Coxswain Grade 2 – Cannot carry passengers
Sea School is a nationally recognised training organisation
FOR MORE INFORMATION or to ENROL click on the SEA SCHOOL link below or call 1300 666 416 (you will be re-directed to the Sea School Marine Training website).
This is a business independently owned and operated by Skippers Ticket Training WA licensed to provide marine training services for the registered training organisation Sea School International #91732: