MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations
(Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal)
This course was previously MAR10413
UPCOMING COURSES in 2019/2020
PERTH - HILLARYS BOAT HARBOUR
- August 19 to 23
- November 4 to 8
- January 13 - 17
- March 23 - 27
- June 22 - 26
WHO IS IT FOR?
This qualification is suitable for people who work or want to work as a Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal in the maritime industry and command a commercial marine vessel:
- up to 12 metres in length
- with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 100 kW for an inboard engine
- that is not carrying passengers
and operate this vessel:
- in sheltered waters, or
- as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ), or
- within 3 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
The course is conducted face to face over an intense 5 day period with an experienced Master who will help and guide you through the required Units of Competency to ensure you have the knowledge and skills to attain a Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal (Certificate I in Maritime Operations) certificate.
This qualification is one component of the eligibility criteria to achieve the Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate of Competency which allows you to work in any state or territory in Australia.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The Coxswain Grade 2 certificate is made up of 8 units of competency:
- MARC00 Operate inboard and outboard motors
- MARF00 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF002 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF004 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARI001 Comply with regulations to ensure safe operation of a vessel up to 12 metres
- MARJ001 Follow environmental work practices
- MARK001 Handle a vessel up to 12 metres
- MARN002 Apply seamanship skills aboard a vessel up to 12 metres
This course will be superseded by MAR10418.
If you like driving boats why not get paid for it? The marine industry needs competent skippers and crew to transport guests and cargo and to provide services, labour and contracts on the waterfront and on the coast.
A Coxswain can take control of a ferry, water taxi, jet boat, yacht, catamaran, tourism or catering vessel, Kimberley charter boat tender and a variety of work boats.
Please remember: Coxswain Grade 1 – Can carry passengers
Coxswain Grade 2 – Cannot carry passengers
FOR MORE INFORMATION or to ENROL click on the SEA SCHOOL link or call 1300 666 416
(You will be re-directed to the SEA SCHOOL website)
Skippers Ticket Training WA also offers courses for: