Certificate III in Maritime Operations
(Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) MAR30818
This course was previously MAR30813
UPCOMING COURSES in 2021
PERTH - HILLARYS BOAT HARBOUR
- Nov 1 - Nov 12 [course full - waitlist register available]
UPCOMING COURSES IN 2022
- Mar 14 - Mar 25 [course full - waitlist register available]
- Jul 4 - Jul 15
- Oct 3 - Oct 14
- Nov 28 - Dec 9
WHO IS IT FOR?
This domestic qualification licensed by AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) is suitable for people who work in the maritime industry operating as:
- Chief Engineer on a vessel with an inboard engine with propulsion power up to 750 kW in waters to the outer limits of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Second Engineer on vessels with an inboard engine with propulsion power up to 1500 kW in waters to the outer limits of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Chief Engineer or Second Engineer on a vessel with an outboard engine with unlimited propulsion in waters to the outer limits of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Assist an engineer in any tasks that may be required on board while working under the direct supervision of the person in charge of the vessel’s engines
- Work in the engine room of a vessel <80 m long with propulsion power up to 3000 kW
The course is conducted face-to-face over an intense 10 day period with an experienced Master who will help and guide you through the required Units of Competency to ensure you have the knowledge and skills that may lead to attaining a Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) issued by Sea School Marine Training RTO 91732.
This qualification is one component of the eligibility criteria to achieve the Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Certificate of Competency which allows you to work in any state or territory in Australia.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The MED 2 qualification is made up of 16 units of competency. Twelve of the units are delivered in this course and the remaining *4 units are a course entry requirement and are the Shipboard Safety Skill Set (see below). They are not delivered in this course.
- MARJ006 Follow environmental work practices
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- MARC033 Complete engine room tasks
- MARC034 Maintain hull out of water
- MARC035 Operate and maintain extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment
- MARC036 Operate deck machinery
- MARC039 Operate marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- MARB031 Maintain marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant and auxiliary systems
- MARB032 Undertake basic maintenance of electrical systems
- MARC040 Manage Fuel Systems
- MARC041 Operate and monitor marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant and auxiliary systems
- MARC042 Operate electrical systems
- *MARF027 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- *MARF028 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- *MARF029 Meet work health and safety requirements
- *MARF030 Survive at sea using survival craft
- *HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
*Course entry requirements are the First Aid and 4 units of the Shipboard Safety Skill Set. They do not need to be completed prior to enrolling however, they must be completed prior to receiving the full qualification.
Almost all commercial vessels require a qualified person to operate and maintain equipment onboard.
Marine Engine Drivers are in charge of the operation and maintenance of motorised equipment on small commercial vessels. Modern vessel engines are complex and technologically advanced.
This course will teach you how to confidently operate and maintain main and auxiliary machinery and electronics and is the starting point if you’re seeking a career within the maritime sector.
Sea School is a nationally recognised training organisation
FOR MORE INFORMATION or to ENROL click on the SEA SCHOOL link or call 1300 666 416
(you will be re-directed to Sea School Marine Training's website):
This is a business independently owned and operated by Skippers Ticket Training WA licensed to provide marine training services for the registered training organisation Sea School International #91732: